Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Jane Sowerby's counting down the days until the Coast to Coast


Is it really only one month to go?

I’m really excited to be taking part in the Devon Coast 2 Coast this year and hopefully raise some much needed cash for Back Up, a charity extremely close to my heart.

I know first hand how Back Up can totally transform lives following a devastating spinal cord injury.  I was paralysed from the waist down in 2003 after a freak fall over the edge of some stairs.  The period immediately following the accident was pretty tough, I remember wondering how on earth I was going to lead a fulfilled life confined to a wheelchair.

Back Up saved me from sinking into the depths of depression and showed me how many sports and activities you can still do.  The first Back Up ski course I took part in was a real turning point for me.  I had no idea such exhilarating disabled sports existed!  The sense of freedom you get from sit-skiing is unbeatable.

 
With a lot of hard work I went on to join the British Disabled Ski Team, and two years later was selected to compete for Great Britain at the 2010 Winter Paralympics in Vancouver.  An unbelievable experience I’ll never forget.

Due to training commitments I was unable to take part in the coast 2 coast last year, so I’m really looking forward to it this time around.  I know it will be a challenge, especially the slightly hillier parts of Devon we’ll no doubt encounter!  I do quite a lot of handcycling over the summer to keep fit, but have only just been able to get back on my bike after being away for the ski season.  As it’s pretty much rained constantly since I got back, I’ve set up the bike on a turbo trainer and turned the lounge into a temporary gym.  As soon as the sun does put it’s hat on, I’ll be heading to Richmond Park to join some fellow handcyclists for training with slightly better views!

 
Since that first Back Up course 7 years ago, I’ve continued to be heavily involved with them, as a group leader and wheelchair skills trainer.  It’s just incredible to witness what a difference Back Up can make, it helps people realise that life does go on, and you can still have so much fun living it.  Participants on courses or wheelchair skills sessions always seem to come away feeling so much more confident, and ready to take on the new challenges in their lives.  

So I’ll be cramming in as many training rides as possible over the next month, and am looking forward to putting my shoulders to the test through the rolling hills of Devon for such a worthy cause.


To donate to help Back Up to provide such incredible support click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment