Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bret's thoughts on the Devon C2C with 36 days to go

I took part in the inaugural Coast to Coast Cycle for Back Up last year and it was a hell of an experience, and some parts of it felt like hell! Being a paraplegic myself I was using a hand-cycle for the journey so I wouldn't have the extra power generated by our legs to help me up the hills and this made the going particularly challenging at times! 
Brett's face says it all......
We crossed the country from West to East and for the most part this meant we were fighting a headwind. When we were cycling in exposed areas the wind could be particularly fierce and on the first day especially there were times when progress was down to walking pace. I was determined to get to the finish point for each day however and with lots of encouragement and assistance where necessary from fellow team members I did that. 
Brett and Colin cycling in the shadow of Blencathra, Cumbria
We also had to contend with getting sodden wet from rain on the second and third day but I still had a smile on my face as I was loving the challenge of the ride, the beautiful scenery and being in the company of some great people. It wasn't always hard work though, the sun came out for us and there were downhill sections I particularly enjoyed those as they were an opportunity to build up some serious speed! 
Brett closing in on Keswick at high speed
It was a great sense of achievement reaching the finish in Whitehaven and I felt proud to have been part of something so special and worthwhile. Despite my body being shattered from all the exertion over there the three days there was one welcome knock on effect as well. The relentless peddling had made my arms look good!
Brett on his new racing bike - with arms looking good!
Since the coast to coast I took part in the Snowdon Push for Back Up last July which was another great experience and when the Coast to Coast ride for 2012 was announced I had no hesitation in declaring I was really up for it again, I've even managed to rope my Dad into doing it as well! We're both looking forward to visiting Devon for the first time for a start and I'm sure it'll be just as good if not better than last year. Looking forward to the challenge,seeing familiar faces again and equally meeting new ones whilst raising as much money as possible for a great charity that has helped me so much in the last few years. It's gonna be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment