Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sean's story....... with 22 days to go


Back Up has had a huge impact on me over the past 12 years since I broke my neck snowboarding in Scotland.  I consider myself very lucky to still be involved with the charity that transformed my perceptions of living with a spinal cord injury and made me realise that life wasn't over.

Having worked as a volunteer and paid member of staff at Back Up for the past 10 and a half years I witness daily the impact of our peer-led wheelchair skills training, mentoring and activity courses.  The organisation has grown enormously in that time and we now reach more people affected by spinal cord injury than ever before.

When I was lying in bed in the early days after my accident, I never imagined that I would be able to live such a full and active life.  The fact that I am taking on this cycling challenge illustrates how far things have come since those dark days back in April 2000.

I have been training on my handbike throughout the winter and have spent numerous hours doing circuits of Richmond Park.


The coast to coast route across Devon which we are undertaking in May is much further than anything I have attempted before and includes some pretty nasty looking hills through Dartmoor.  Tom will be my cycle buddy for the trip, supporting, encouraging and (if the hills get too steep) giving me the occasional push or pull!  I'm looking forward to the challenge, but I know I'll need all the support I can get, so please dig deep to support me and Tom and raise some much needed funds to carry on Back Up's vital work.

If you can, please sponsor me using the link below or text BKUP99 and the amount either £5 or £10 to 70070 (this also gets logged on my justgiving page)

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity and make sure Gift Aid is reclaimed on every eligible donation by a UK taxpayer. So it’s the most efficient way to donate - I raise more, whilst saving time and cutting costs for the charity.


https://www.justgiving.com/seanandtomshilly100miler

Thank you very much for sponsoring us!

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment