Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bret Crossley joins the Coast to Coast Cycle to thank Back-Up for their support

In September 2006 my life was turned upside-down when I had a serious motorcycle racing accident that I was lucky to survive. My injuries were numerous, the worst of which was a spinal cord injury that has rendered me wheelchair dependant for life. My recovery period was lengthy and complicated and after 10 months in hospital I was back out into a now very different world. I was at a loss and to what to do with myself.

Whilst in hospital I'd been introduced to Back-Up who came to provide wheelchair skills training sessions which were very useful. After my discharge I was contacted by them offering me place on one of their courses designed to inspire, increase confidence and independance. Unfortunately I felt unable to do so as I was still recovering from a badly broken lower leg. In July 2009 however I was able to take part one of their multi-activity courses in Keswick, which included kayaking, sailing, absailing and team games.

I'll stop short of saying it was life changing but it made me realise there was so much I was still capable of doing. Instead of thinking about what I couldn't do anymore I started concentrating on what I could do and might be able to do if I tried! I started wheelchair racing, hand-cycling and wheelchair basketball.

In March 2010 I also went sit-skiing with Back-Up in Colorado which was fantastic!

















As Back-Up had done so much for me I wanted to give them something back so I took on the Great North Run last September raising money for them which was a great success.

















As well as taking part in the London Marathon on April 17th I'm really looking forward to the challenge of the Coast-to-Coast cycle and hoping to raise more money for Back-Up in the process. I hope you can help by sponsoring us as your donation makes such a massive difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment